JETSTAR TAKES OFF AGAIN FROM AVALON, BOOSTS FLIGHTS TO 100% OF PRE-COVID CAPACITY IN EARLY 2021
• Jetstar’s first flight from Avalon in nine months took off today.
• Avalon-Adelaide flights set to resume on 1 February 2021 with four weekly return services.
• Jetstar to return to its full Avalon schedule from February.
Friday 18 December | The first flight in almost nine months landed at Avalon Airport today, as the airport and Jetstar worked closely with DHHS in response to the latest NSW COVID-19 cluster.
Avalon Airport has spent the past nine months upgrading the terminal and facilities for exactly this environment, installing touchless check in kiosks, auto bag drops, a state of the art CT Scanner, installing sanitisation stations and ensuring that signage, audio announcements and furniture placement are used as constant reminders and to ensure passengers can travel safely and with peace of mind.
JQ-605 landed without incident this afternoon, and the passengers proceeded calmly through the DHHS screening point.
FROM MIDNIGHT 18 DECEMBER NSW PASSENGERS MUST ACQUIRE A PERMIT BEFORE ENTERING VICTORIA
FIND OUT MORE: AVALONAIRPORT.COM.AU/COVID-19-HEALTH-INFORMATION
The resumption of services comes as Jetstar prepares to ramp up its Avalon schedule to 100 per cent of its pre-COVID capacity in early 2021, with flights to the Gold Coast taking off from 2 January and flights to Adelaide confirmed re-starting on 1 February.
Across the three routes, Jetstar will operate around 50 return weekly flights from Avalon for the first time in nearly a year. This includes close to 40 weekly return flights to Sydney, daily flights to Gold Coast and four weekly return flights to Adelaide.
Jetstar’s current Christmas sale includes fares from Avalon as low as $29 (to Adelaide). The sale runs until Saturday, 19 December 11:59pm, with all the details on jetstar.com.
Comments from Avalon Airport CEO Justin Giddings
"We enthusiastically welcome Jetstar’s announcement to return to their pre-COVID schedule from February.
“Before COVID-19 hit, we had a record year, with almost a million domestic passengers passing through the airport in 2019. Today’s news is a major milestone in returning to normal in 2021.
"We thank Jetstar for their support of our great airport, and we look forward to welcoming back our passengers who we know are very keen to travel again."
Comments from Jetstar Group CEO Gareth Evans
“We’re excited to bring low fares back to Regional Victoria, at a time when local operators need it most.
“Being a gateway to the Great Ocean Road and some of Victoria’s most popular coastal attractions and events, we anticipate great demand for our flights to and from Avalon.”
JETSTAR CHRISTMAS SALE FARES
• Fares between Avalon and Adelaide start from $29 (one way) on Jetstar.com.
• Fares between Avalon and Gold Coast start from $65 (one way) on Jetstar.com
• Fares between Avalon and Sydney start from $41 (one way) on Jetstar.com.
BACKGROUND – JETSTAR IN AVALON
• Jetstar started operations in Avalon over 16 years ago, on 25 May 2004 and was one of the inaugural ports for Jetstar.
• Jetstar has carried a total of over 10 million customers to and from Avalon airport since 2004, and in late 2019 had record passenger numbers with an average of 15,000 customers flying every week.
• Jetstar has carried over 500,000 customers between Adelaide and Avalon. In 2019, over 30,000 travellers flew on the route.
• Jetstar has carried over 430,000 customers between Gold Coast and Avalon. In 2019, almost 60,000 passengers flew on the route.
• Sydney is Avalon’s most popular destination, with over 6 million customers transported in 16 years of operations. In 2019 only, Jetstar carried almost 740,000 customers between Avalon and Sydney.